Heritage pegs have been placed in conspicuous places around the Marrabel district. The object of them is to mark the location of early business houses, churches and community buildings, and also to record the history of the district for future generations. Historical details can be found in the Marrabel and District Book.

 

        Peg 1 - is situated on Section 1158, north of the Belvidere Church. The arrow pointing up indicates the site of the first pug house built in the district, while the left pointing arrow shows the first four acres of land to be cleared by its original owners, the Broadbent family.

        Peg 2 - is situated two kilometres west of Marrabel and marks the northern end of the Roman Catholic School and Hall. It is east of the cemetery. The original building was first used for church services, then later as a school hall.

        Peg 3 - which is in the main street of Marrabel, shows the location of the first Bootmaker shop. The peg is north of the building, which faced the street.

        Peg 4 - again in the main street of Marrabel marks the Blacksmith, Paint and Butcher's Shops. The Blacksmith, which was five metres in from the main street, was on the northern boundary and extended through to Robin's Lane. The Paint Shop was on the southern boundary near the house currently inhabited by the Ley family, while the Butcher Shop is still standing in Pug Street.

        Peg 5 - shows the position of the Roller Flour Mill (whichwas ten metres west of the peg situated in the main street of Marrabel); the Chaff Mill which was ten metres south of the peg and a large wheat shed west of the Flour Mill near Robin's Lane

ROBIN'S FLOUR MILL

        Peg 6 - which can be found near Curio's Statue shows the site of a Butcher Shop, Blacksmith Shop and General Store owned by Mrs A.E. Prior. The northern arrow points toward Lot 2 where the first Butcher's Shop was situated, in one room of a pug house owned by Ben Hall.

        Peg 7 - two kilometres north of Marrabel and opposite the cemetery shows the Australian Arms Hotel and Stables at Springfield. The horse stables were ten metres east of the peg and the Hotel north of the stables. Davison's pug house was south of the site of the stables.

        Peg 8 - marks Whyte (or White) Park, where the English and Australian Copper Company Ltd. was situated in the days when copper was transported by road from Burra to Port Adelaide. It shows the site of the manager's stone residence, workshops, stables, cottages and stockyards. There was a tent camp west of the manager's home. It was sold in 1869 when the railway line was extended to Burra.

        Peg 9 - Twyford Primitive Methodist Church stood one hundred and seventy five metres south of this peg, facing onto a now closed road. Visible signs showing the site of this church are two old almond trees with some building stone close by and some flag iris bulbs which grew along the original fence line. The land is now owned by the Busch family.

        Peg 10 - two kilometres north of Marrabel and east of the cemetery was placed right in the middle of the site of the Primitive Methodist Church at Springfield.

        Peg 11- seven kilometres north of Marrabel, is placed on the dividing boundary of the Steelton Post Office and School. The Post Office and residence stood right on the fence line south of the peg, on five acres of land and directly opposite an old almond tree which can be seen ten metres from the fence. It was later removed and re-erected on the I'Anson property.

STEELTON POST OFFICE

        Peg 12 - is placed on the boundary fence of where once stood the Steelton Blacksmith Shop and dwelling and the Wine Shanty and dwelling. The arrow pointing north shows the Wine Shanty and dwelling which stood on two acres of land and was demolished Circa 1900. The arrow pointing south indicates the Blacksmith Shop. Refer History of Steelton by Mrs Nell Bellman

        Peg 13 - shows the site of the building which housed both the Primitive Methodist Church and School named Kollyowha. This building was two kilometres north of the Tothill Creek School; but all that remains are the two headstones and a number of unmarked graves.

        Peg 14 - marks the site of the Royal Oak Hotel, which was half a kilometre south of Tothill Creek School.

TOTHILL CREEK SCHOOL

 The hotel stood one hundred and ten metres east of the peg and approximately west of Tothill Creek. When the peg was placed the cellar was still visible. The ruins of the stables, sixty metres south of the hotel can be seen pushed up against three old pepper trees. Tennis Courts stood just east of the peg with a cricket pitch and football ground between them and the hotel. A Butcher Shop stood one hundred and thirty metres north of the peg and thirty metres in from the road.

        Peg 15 - directly east of this peg and one kilometre south of the Tothill Creek School, stood the Tothill Creek Blacksmith Shop. The ground where the building stood is slightly raised with some stone still visible. The tree with stone pushed up against it was in front of the house. The building also served as a Post Office for a short period.

        Peg 16 - two kilometres south of Tothill Creek School is the site of the Tothill Creek Post Office which stood one metre east of the peg.

TOTHILL CREEK POST OFFICE

        Peg 17 - is placed on the Tothill Creek -Tarnma Road. Follow the creek for two kilometres and near the dam the ruins of Cinderella Hall, house and outbuildings can be seen. The Hall was built in 1870.

        Peg 18 - the walls of the Tarnma Blacksmith Shop can be seen five metres east of this peg. The ruins south of the blacksmith shop are of the original stables.

UNDER GROUND WATER TANK DOME AT TARNMA

        Peg 19 - was placed on the boundary of the adjoining buildings which housed the Tarnma Public Hall and Wine Shanty. The Wine Shanty was north of the peg and the Hall to the south.

        Peg 20 - ten metres to the west of this peg was the site of the Tarnma Lutheran School and Cemetery. The school remained under the jurisdiction of the Lutheran Church until 1917 when all schools were taken over by the Education Department.

TARNMA SCHOOL

        Peg 21 - on the Saddleworth to Steelton Road, along side the railway crossing shows the site of Brennen Siding wheat stack. The grain shed, which measured 15x23 metres, was one hundred and fifty five metres north of the peg.

        Peg 22 - shows where the Hamilton Anglican Church stood on the corner of Caroline and Margaret Streets. The original Church was demolished prior to the present building being erected. The old church stood between the present building and the heritage peg.

        Peg 23 - the Hamilton Farmer's Home Hotel stood six metres east of this peg, on the corner of Burra and Victoria Roads.

        Peg 24 - on Burra Road shows the position of both the Hamilton Blacksmith and Wheelwright Shops and the Hamilton Hotel, the site of which is directly opposite the peg where part of the ruins can still be seen. The 45-degree arrow points to the Blacksmith Shop which stood forty metres east of the peg.

        Peg 25 - is on the corner of Burra Road and George Street, where once stood the Hamilton General Store and Post Office.

        Peg 26 - The Hamilton Baker Shop stood three metres east of this peg on the Burra Road. Ruins of the building can still be seen.

        Peg 27 - the Hamilton Butcher Shop stood on the corner of Burra Road and John Street three metres east of this peg. No ruins are visible.

        Peg 28 - Hamilton Bible Christian Church stood fifteen metres east of this peg on the Burra Road. It was opened on Christmas Day 1862

        Peg 29 - which is approximately three kilometres north of the Tothill Belt School, shows the position of the Tothill Belt Post Office. When the peg was placed, ruins of the pug building, cellar and well were still evident. Flag irises are also growing in front of where the building stood.

        Peg 30 - the Steelton Butcher Shop was one room of a house, which stood one kilometre east of the Burra to Steelton Road and twenty metres west of Keith Schmaal's home. A football oval was on the flat between the house and the Steelton Bridge.

        Peg 31 - two kilometres south east of Marrabel on Section 1140, Hundred of Waterloo is the site of two unmarked graves - believed the last resting place of two shepherds. Refer to Bell and Williams family

        Peg 32 - three kilometres from Marrabel on the Tothill Creek Road is the site of the Chalk Pit. Jack Williams suffered from ulcers before chewing on the chalk from this pit; it was later found to have similar ingredients to the conventional ulcer remedies of today. 

        Peg 33 - is positioned south of the River Light Bridge, and marks the location of the slaughter yard belonging to E. Wurst the butcher.

        Peg 34 is situated on Gants Hill Road near Finniss Point. On the northern bank is the site of the hut owned by the Rainbird family, where Mrs Rainbird and her 2 children were murdered by aborigines on 11th March 1861